Pages

Thursday 27 November 2014

Double the Fun in November!

Hello there.

It's Heather here today with my first layout using the November "Rustic Goodness" kit. Actually, this isn't just one layout - it's a double!


I like making double page layouts. So often we have multiple photos from one event that we want to scrap and they just won't fit on one page. I could have cut and rearranged my background cardstocks so I had the same colours on both pages but I love the effect of using the same or similar products across two different coloured backgrounds to create one double page.

In this instance, I used the same paints, Media Crackle Paste, stencil and papers across the two pages but used the kraft and the white cardstock as the backgrounds. It's interesting to see how the different cardstocks created quite different effects.

Here's what I did:

Step 1



Using a spatula or old credit card, swipe paint through the splat shapes on the fabulous Crafters Workshop stencil. I used Dusty in Colour Mountain Meadow paint but you could use any acrylic paint. Think about where you want the flow of elements to go. This is what my pages looked like at this stage:


Step 2


Mix a small amount of pink paint (I used Dusty in Colour Dusty Pink) with some Media Crackle Paste from the kit. Don't overload the colour or the paste won't crackle correctly. I spread this mix through the quatrefoil pattern of the Crafters Workshop stencil. This stencil truly is three stencils in one! Leave the Crackle Paste to air dry and it makes a gorgeous crackle without the hassle of mixing products. Here's what my pages looked like at this stage:


Step 3



While the backgrounds are drying, fussy cut some floral sections from the Zen Garden paper. Squirt some pink spray into its lid and, using a fine brush, paint the grey sections of the flowers. Highlight some sections with painted-on gold spray and paint on green spray for the leaves. I used Heidi Swapp sprays but you could use any sort or use watercolours or watered-down paints. Do the same with a butterfly.

Here's the finished effect:


Step 4



To create the title, I used the word section of the stencil and just painted through it. When using any stencil over a textured surface, the paint will always leak under the stencil as the stencil can't sit flat. I fixed this by outlining the letters with black pen but if you don't want this messier look then plan to leave the space under your title free from textured stenciling.

On the second page I used an ink pad through the word stencil to create a subtle background element.


This layout could also be recreated as two stand alone pages instead of a double.



I love the versatility of this month's kit! As always, there are interesting and unique products and loads of papers. If you'd like to order this kit or any others email orders.scrappychatdesigns@gmail.com.or check out the website here.



Happy scrappin'!

Heather

www.heathermcmahon09.blogspot.com.au

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow Heather. I just love both the pages and the pics :) Just love how you have created the background. xx

    ReplyDelete