Pages

Thursday 30 January 2014

Friends, using the Catch Up Kit.

Hi there!
Sandra here with my very first post for  Scrappy Chat Designs.
I was so excited and honoured  to be asked by Beck to join her team and I am humbled that I am working alongside the very talented Heather McMahon and Renee Aslette, three very talented ladies whose work I have admired for such a long time.
I LOVED the Catch Up Kit that Beck sent me to play with.


Here is the layout I created to share with you.
Aren't they the most gorgeous colours??
So bright and fresh.

Sorry this layout is currently out for publication, you can still have a look at a wonderful technique used on this layout


When I first saw the stencil in the kit I thought it looked just  like a tree, and  when I pulled out a cold beverage from the fridge  a few moments later and saw this:


I knew I was on the right track  so that is what I ran with!
Instead of using texture paste or mediums with the stencil I went down a different road.

Using a pencil,  I traced some of the stencil onto white cardstock and then using the “cider tree” from the packaging as a guide I hand drew the tree trunk and branches.
Then with a craft knife I fussy cut out the leaves, and carefully rubbed out the pencil marks.
And this was the result.


I added a bit more doodling, using the cider tree again as a guide, for the tree trunk.  
I picked one main patterned paper (I have used the grey side of the Fancy Pants “paddleboat” paper) to use as my main colour of the leaves and placed the stencil on top of this and used this as a guide... then came the fiddly, but fun,  bit!
Using scraps of paper.. (see! those 2inchx2inch scraps DO come in handy!! ;-) sticky tape them to the back of the cardstock under the stencil. (Don't stick that big piece of grey paper down just yet!!)


 
 This is the back.. it gets really kind of messy doesn't it?!
*tip! keep the pieces of sticky tape small so that it doesn't show on the front of the layout.. it does get easier the more you stick on.

Then keep flipping , sticking and flipping again until you get the look you want and then stick the “Paddleboat” paper to the back of the cardstock on the stencil. 


And this is what you end up with.


You might choose to use only one sheet of patterned paper behind the tree... this is much easier but still effective. Play with it! See what effect works for you.
J
Then I constructed the rest of the layout.

I am sure you will love playing with the Catch Up Kit as much as I did.
Gorgeous colours and papers, two fantastic stencils that I am sure you will use over and over again..  washi tape...and lots of stickers and diecuts to play with.. Heaps for future projects.
There are still some Catch up Kits available.
follow the link on the side bar or HERE for more details..

And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook!
(the link is up top on the sidebar)
 and share with us your layouts and projects using your kits from  Scrappy Chat Designs.
It's always great  to see your creations!

See you next time with another share!

Sandra x





1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial Sandra. The finished page is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete